19 Healthy Breakfasts That Will Actually Fill You Up
About This Event
The amount of time between breakfast and lunch is way too long. But it doesn't have to feel that way.
If you want to feel energized and full for longer, you should make sure to eat a nutritious breakfast with a lot of protein, Albert Matheny, R.D., C.S.C.S., and consultant for Naked Nutrition, tells BuzzFeed Life. He recommends that you eat at least 20 to 25 grams of protein in the morning. Everyone's needs are different, of course, so that number might vary from person to person. For instance, Matheny recommends that active people who work out regularly should eat about a gram of protein per pound of body weight each day. (The USDA recommends a gram of protein per kilogram of bodyweight per day, in contrast). Either way, that 20 to 25 grams number might be a bit low for you.
Here's a list of delicious, healthy breakfasts that all pack at least 20 grams of protein, so you can say good-bye to that hangry feeling.
1. Baked Eggs in Avocados w/ Wheat Toast
So simple. So good. And includes 21 grams of protein.
2. Peanut Butter and Jelly Overnight Oats
Packs 22 grams of protein and tastes like a classic PB&J.
3. Cottage Cheese With Fruit and Toast
Simple and quick to make. Plus, it has 22.7 grams of protein.
4. Cheddar, Bacon, and Spinach Egg Casserole
Loaded with about 22 grams of protein, thanks to the spinach, cottage cheese, eggs, and bacon.
5. Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Pancakes
This stack comes with 43 grams of protein.
6. Easy Kale Feta Egg Toast
Contains 33.3 grams of protein and only takes four ingredients to make.
7. High Protein Vanilla Chia Pudding
This tasty portable breakfast is filled with 25 grams of protein.
8. Poached Eggs With Tomato, Swiss Chard, and Chickpeas
This popular brunch dish packs 20.1 grams of protein, 9.5 grams of fiber, and is only 339 calories per serving.
9. Berry Blast Protein Shake
25 grams of protein and only 216 calories.
10. Baked Eggs in Garlicky Collard Greens & Sweet Potatoes
This savory dish is part of the 2015 BuzzFeed Life Clean Eating Challenge and it includes 24 grams of protein.
11. Healthy Homemade Granola Parfait
Greek yogurt, raspberries, strawberries, dark chocolate, homemade granola, and coconut oil make this nutrient-loaded breakfast taste delicious. It also has around 30 grams of protein.
12. Sweet Potato, Black Bean, & Egg White Breakfast Burritos
This easy breakfast has 20 grams of protein and is great to eat on the go.
13. Strawberry Infused Quinoa Breakfast Bowl
This Quinoa breakfast bowl has around 20 grams of protein.
14. Overnight Cake Batter Protein Oatmeal
248 calories, 20 grams of protein, and 6 grams of fiber per serving.
15. Oatmeal Cottage Cheese Banana Pancakes
One serving size (3-4 pancakes) includes 20.2 grams of protein.
16. Spinach and Mushroom Egg White Frittata
Whip up this filling, healthy frittata in just 15 minutes (includes 26 grams of protein).
17. Mocha Banana Protein Smoothie Bowl
Get your morning caffeine and 20 grams of protein in one meal.
18. Cornmeal and Oat Waffle Mix
Get your sweet fix with these delicious waffles, which pack 20 grams of protein.
19. Twice Baked Breakfast Sweet Potatoes
These loaded sweet potatoes have 36 grams of protein per serving.